Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Tomorrow I Get a Shot at Class A

Tomorrow I will be paired as White against Jon Hildeman, rated 1703, in the final round of a Quad at the Southwest Chess Club. 

If I win then according to the ratings estimator my rating will be 1813, putting me in Class A for the first time in my life.

I know that Jon will play 1...d6 with the idea of trading queens immediately.  i.e. 1.e4 d6 2.d4 e5 3.dxe5 dxe5 4.Qxd8+ Kxd8.  Knowing that I need to decide if we are going to play that line or if I will force him to keep queens on the board. 

Last time we played and I had white I move ordered him in a King's Indian Defense, which I know he has been studying, so I need to take some time to weigh some pros and cons.  In that game I didn't get much and we drew by repetition somewhere around move 25-30.

So I'm not sure what I will do, but I do know that it will involve playing for as long as it takes.  I won't overpress to win, but I also won't agree to a draw with any play left in a position.

Stay tuned for more info after the game tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I misplayed and lost the game. I will post it as soon as I get a chance to annotate it.

    So rating dropped to 1768.

    ReplyDelete