Sunday, July 7, 2013

Being Lazy or Recharging the Batteries - You Make the Call

So...the past few days have found me engaging in almost no chess activity.  I've solved a handful of tactical puzzles, played through a couple of opening lines, and played through a couple of annotated games.

But considering that I have had four straight days off work that's not a whole lot of activity.  I certainly haven't sat down for a good three hour study session or anything like that.

So the question is...is this being lazy, or is this a well deserved and needed rest after working extremely hard for quite a long time?

I think that it is important to take time away from chess at times to get some mental clarity back, but having said that I am on a roll right now and at my peak rating, so why stop now?

Am I afraid of burning out?  Am I just tired?  Am I avoiding the issue at hand, which is that my goal of reaching 1800 by years end is directly in sight of me?
Something interesting to ponder, that's for sure.

I'd like to think that this is nothing more than just a mini-vacation.  I don't play another serious game until the 18th of this month.  So that gives me a week and a half to get ready.  To make sure that I'm ready to perform at my peak level.  To solidify my repertoire at least a bit more than it is now.

So again, I'd like to think that this is just a little break to regain my balance.

Why then is there a nagging thought in the back of my head?

3 comments:

  1. Give yourself a break. You need time to re-charge your batteries every now and then. Man does not live by chess alone !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom,

    I certainly hear you. My one cause for concern is that it feels like the vacations should be spent on times when the results aren't that great.

    At a time like now, when it seems like I reach a new peak frequently it seems "wrong" to back away.

    But I've decided to just let the winds of fate carry me wherever they may...

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. One must be careful, as Caissa can be a wicked mistress!

    ReplyDelete